The Beauty & Diversity of The Backcountry Trail!

Six trails among seven distinct ecosystems make up more than 13.5 miles of the Hugh S. Branyon Backcountry Trail complex through Orange Beach, Alabama and the Gulf State Park.

   
Explore the timeless beauty of the Butterfly Garden, the mystical Freshwater Marshes and the Coastal Hardwood Swamps. Catch a glimpse of a Bobcat on the Twin Bridges or a White Tailed Deer on Gulf Oak Ridge. View an Alligator basking in the sun and be sure to bring your camera to capture the
 

Coyote Crossing Joins the
Backcountry Family

 

 

The ribbon was cut on a new trail, November 16, and despite the rain, 120 people came to celebrate. Starting at Gulf Oak Ridge trailhead inside the Gulf State Park, the trail winds west to Hwy. 59, completing 13.5 miles of scenic paved paths. A little past Hwy 59 and adjacent to Fort Morgan Road is five additional miles of trail leading to the Peninsula Golf Course. Locals and visitors can enjoy even more areas for biking, jogging, walking, skating, rock climbing, wildlife watching, plant and tree identification, photography and connecting to nature. The trail was named in a special social media contest, where fans submitted their favorite suggestions. A committee reviewed dozens of entries and combined the names of several fans to designate the New Trailhead as Coyote Crossing, a nod to local wildlife. Funding, for this stretch of the trail, was provided by the City of Gulf Shores, who received a Trail Enhancement (TE) Grant, paying 80% of construction costs, from the Alabama Department of Transportation. The City paid for the remaining 20% and design fees.

 
 

 

New Boulder Park
Near the intersection of Catman Road, Twin Bridges, Rattlesnake Ridge and Rosemary Dunes there is a special new adventure for the kid and the kid at heart. The Backcountry Trail is happy to announce that there is now a boulder park with small, medium and large boulders for climbing! Kids of all ages enjoy climbing the boulders and checking out the view from the top. The next time you are out on the trail with your family, make sure you stop at the pavilion for a rest while the kids climb the boulders. It's a great chance for you to enjoy the butterfly garden and for them to let off some steam daring each other to climb to the very top!

© 2010 - 2013 Hugh S. Branyon Backcountry Trail.
All Rights Reserved.
PO Box 458 | Orange Beach, AL 36561 | 251.981.1180